As Valentine’s Day approaches, we have been thinking about the old saying: ‘the way to a man’s/woman’s heart is through their stomach.’
It seems that for many people it is true, therefore, cooking for the one you love is a great way to show that love.
Food has an important part in our memories – first meal out on a date, birthdays, celebrating anniversaries or being on holiday together in a different city, maybe trying a new cuisine for the first time. In fact, food can give us feelings of nostalgia just as much as music or smells. Planning, and cooking a meal for your family or partner can bring you as much joy to create it, as it give them to eat your creation. This is the language of love translated to you showing your love by doing something special for them.
5 wonderful Valentine’s recipes to help you show your love (and this is safe for those with allergies too!).
The first two use Creative Nature’s Chia & Cacao Choc Chip Brownie Baking mix.
Strawberry Heart Brownies
Prep 5 mins: Cook 20- 25 mins: Serves 6
- 1 Creative Nature Brownie Baking mix
- 9 tbsp cold water
- 125g dairy free spread
- 3 tbsp flaxseed
- Preheat the oven to 180°
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the baking mix and dairy free spread.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flaxseed and water and allow to set until it turns gloopy.
4. Add the flaxseed mix into the combined baking mix and dairy free spread and mix together.
5. Pour the brownie mix into a 20 x 20 cm greaseproof tin and place in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes.
6. Slice your strawberries, and HALFWAY through the cooking of your brownie mix, carefully place the slices of strawberry’s on top of the mix (so that when cut, you have a strawberry on each piece when cut), and carefully put back in the oven.
7. When cooked, cut the brownies into 6 rectangles.
Chocolate heart brownies
Prep 5 mins: Cook 25 mins/ Serves 9
- 1 Creative Nature Brownie Baking Mix
- 3tbsp flax seed
- 9 tbsp cold water
- 100g diary free spread
- 100g vegan white chocolate
- Pink heart sprinkles
Follow the first 5 points of Strawberry Heart Brownies, but do not take them
out half way through. Cook for the whole 20 – 25 minutes. Once cooked, and cool, using a heart-shaped cookie cutter to create the hearts.
Melt your vegan white chocolate and drizzle it over the top of the brownies, and finish by adding some pink heart sprinkles.
This looks very impressive! Or you could make a cupcake board.
- 2 Creative Nature Chocolate Cake Baking Mix
- 500ml your favourite milk
- 220 ml vegetable oil
- Frosting and 2 or 3 food colourings of your choice.
6 cupcake cases; piping bag; plastic cups, tissue paper and ribbon.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/400°F/Gas Mark 4
2. In a mixing bowl, combine together the chocolate cake mixes, milk and vegetable oil, mixing them in well.
3. Spoon the mixture into 6 cupcake cases and pop in the oven for about 25 minutes, then remove to cool.
4. While the cupcakes are cooling make your frosting and put into separate bowls, for each of the different colours you want to use for your cake decoration.
5. Use a piping bag to decorate the cakes with your different colours and flower patterns.
6. Place the cupcakes in plastic cups, using tissue paper and ribbon to fashion into a bouquet.
If you don’t feel you want to create a bouquet, you could create a Cupcake Platter instead.
Create an array of ‘flower’ cupcakes, add the brownie hearts, and heart shaped cookies, and other cupcakes, using our baking mixes, decorating them to match the ‘love’ theme.
Heart Shaped Magibles Cookies
Prep 30 mins: Cook 15 – 20 mins: Serves 10
- 300g Gluten free flour
- 100g Caster sugar
- 40g Dairy free spread (chilled)
- 200g vegan white chocolate (melted)
- 75g Magibles, crushed (flavour of your choice)
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar and dairy free spread
and combine using your hands, until it creates a dough-like texture.
2. Once combined, place in the fridge for around 25 mins.
3. On a lightly dusted surface, roll out your pastry to around a 2cm thickness.
4. Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter and cut out heart shapes from the pastry.
5. Place these on a baking tray which has been lined with baking paper.
6. Place in the oven for around 15-20 minutes. They should turn golden brown.
7. Allow your cookies to cool, once out of the oven.
8. Melt the white chocolate and once the cookies are cool, dip half of the cookie into the chocolate.
9. Place the cookies on a cooling wire and add some sprinkles of crushed Magibles on top of each cookie.
10. When finished place them all in the fridge for 20 minutes to allow the chocolate to set and cool.
Have a wonderful St Valentine’s Day, and enjoy the treats you cook!