- 500g Creative Nature Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 300ml plant based milk
- 50g dairy free spread
- 1tsp salt
- 75g golden caster sugar
- 7g fast action yeast
- 70g sultanas
- 1 Orange (zested)
- 2 heaped tbsp mixed spices
- 75g Creative Nature Gluten Free All Purpose Flour (for the cross)
- Apricot Jam (for the glaze)
Share this recipe
- Pour your chosen milk into a saucepan over a medium heat. Once it comes to a simmer add the dairy free spread and mix well. Once melted remove from the heat. Allow to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl add the flour, yeast, salt, sugar and spices making sure that they are all combined.
- Pour the milk mixture into the bowl and make sure to mix well until it begins to take a dough like form.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for around 5-10 minutes. It should start to become stretchy. Place the kneaded dough into a large bowl and allow to rest for 1hr.
- Take the dough onto a lightly floured surface again and add the sultanas and orange zest to the dough. Knead again until everything is combined and evenly distributed. Place back into the mixing bowl and allow to rest for another hour.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces on a baking tray lined with baking paper covering with cling film and allow to rest for another 45 mins.
- While you wait, preheat the oven to 220 degrees. To make the cross on the top of your buns combine the remaining flour with water until it creates a thick paste (add the water in gradually, you don’t want this to be too runny!). Place the paste in a piping bag.
- Once the hot cross buns are done, pipe the paste on top of the buns to create a cross and add to the oven for around 15 – 20 mins until they turn a golden brown on top.
- Warm up your apricot jam and brush over the top of your buns!
- We like to serve ours cool, set aside for around 15 mins and then serve! Enjoy!!